Join to enjoy free/discounted entry to over 180 CAMRA festivals *
Fancy becoming an expert beer taster? Then this course is for you. No prior experience necessary, just a love a beer.
The purpose of this accredited training is to give you (or improve your) skills and confidence to assess beer objectively, learn about CAMRA's beer styles and how to fill in CAMRA's tasting card. It also covers some of the more usual off flavours you can get in beer. After the training, you can then:
Join a CAMRA Tasting Panel and
Contribute to writing the beer descriptions in CAMRA’s Good Beer Guide
Contribute to the decision as to which beers go forward to CAMRA’s Champion Beer of Britain Competition
If in London, join the Panel on its visits to London breweries to meet brewers and talk about their beers.
At the end of the training you can decide to join a panel by completing 12 tasting cards over 12 weeks and gain a Certificate of Competence, independently accredited by People 1st, who are part of the Hospitality Guild. If you decide joining a tasting panel is not for you, you will be sent a Certificate of Attendance.
The course is conducted by Master Trainer, Christine Cryne and lasts 5.5 hours. This event starts at 11am and will finish by 5.30pm. This event is subsidised by CAMRA. The charge is to cover the cost of the beer, flavour phials, tasting biscuits etc.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
• Identify the four basic flavours
• State the four key ingredients in beer
• With the help of notes, identify some of the more off usual flavours in beer and where they can come from
• With the use of CAMRA's beer style sheets, identify different beer styles
• Demonstrate this knowledge, by filling in CAMRA’s tasting cards including producing descriptions suitable for CAMRA’s Good Beer Guide.