Come and judge some of the beer shortlisted in this year's Final of CAMRA's London & South Champion Bottle Beer of Britain and get some training while you do it!
This training is aimed at:
- People who are involved currently with judging (for experienced judges it gives an opportunity for self assessment/reflection) .
- People who organise CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain judging competitions (or other judging).
- CAMRA's Tasting Panel members to give a chance to review their objectivity in scoring
- Novices to provide an opportunity to see how it is done!
The training includes the tasting of 12 beers in three rounds.
By the end of the session, you will be able to:
- State the key criteria in judging beer and explain how different factors can influence any judging
- List the criteria of what makes a good beer judge and the pitfalls that can occur
- Explain how you score a beer down
- With the use of CAMRA's beer style sheets, be able to state the differences between different beer styles
- And to demonstrate this knowledge by judging three rounds of beer 'competitions' to CAMRA's standards.
At the end, you will have the option of either taking a short quiz, which if you pass, you will receive a certificate of competence or you can choose not to take the quiz and gain a certificate of attendance. This course is accredited by People 1st, an internationally recognised training company.
The course will cover:
- How people taste
- How we assess a beer for CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain competitions
- CAMRA's scoring regime
- How the environment and the judge themselves can influence judging
- What makes a good judge and what to be aware of (including objectivity versus subjectivity)
- What makes a good Chair of a Judging Panel
- CAMRA's beer styles
- Three practical judging sessions
The course will start promptly at 12.30pm and will last around 4.5 hours.
There will be no break for lunch so please ensure you have eaten before the training.
Note that the course will be held upstairs at the Windsor & Eton Tap Room (no lift), which is about 10 minute walk from Windsor & Eton Central Station.
We regret that as some of the beer has to be purchased in advance, there are no refunds on this course.
The course is being given by Master Trainer, Christine Cryne.